Thursday, March 7, 2013

Creamy Italian Polenta - Gluten-free and Vegan!

This recipe is hearty, delicious, and has a low Weight Watchers Points Plus value. Best of all, Dwayne and the kids liked it! Since I have little time or desire to cook, I made a very big batch so I could have some for the week and freeze some for later. I just put 1/2 cup servings in muffin tins in the freezer so, fingers-crossed they do okay! You could easily cut the recipe if you just want enough for a single family meal.

Ingredients:

3 small heads of Cauliflower

2 packages of cooked Polenta (I bought mine at Trader Joe's, they sort of look like a sausage roll)

1/2 cup fresh basil

1/2 cup fresh rosemary

1 bag of Sundried Tomatoes from Trader Joe's (NOT packed in oil)

1 bag of Vegan Mozzarella cheese (again TJ's; you could replace with part-skim mozzarella if you are not avoiding dairy)

1 tablespoon minced garlic


Preparation:
I steamed the cauliflower and then blended it with the polenta in my cuisinart. I put that mixture in a pot and then added the cheese, the garlic, and the finely chopped rosemary, basil and sundried tomatoes. I kept the pot on low heat, stirring frequently until the cheese was melted and the ingredients were thoroughly incorporated. This is a recipe that tastes better the next day because the flavors have a chance to "marry". The way I prepared it, a 1/2 cup serving came out to 3 Weight Watcher Points Plus. One day I stirred in some mushrooms I'd sauteed in a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Delish!

No comments:

Post a Comment